BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for masterplanning projects, infrastructure and buildings. It recognises and reflects the value in higher performing assets across the built environment lifecycle, from new construction to in-use and refurbishment. BREEAM does this through third party certification of the assessment of an asset’s environmental, social and economic sustainability performance, using standards developed by BRE Global Ltd.
The role of Assessors is vital to the BREEAM certification process. Qualified and licensed BREEAM Assessors work with project teams to conduct the assessment of a building/asset prior to checking by the certification body, BRE Global Ltd. This process puts Assessors at the forefront in driving industry change towards a more sustainable built environment.
BREEAM UK New Construction (NC) Assessor training commences with approximately 30 hours of interactive online modules delivered through our dedicated online learning portal. You will be led on a journey into BREEAM by way of interactive content and technical presentations, which will gradually build your knowledge and confidence with the BREEAM UKNC 2018 scheme. You can complete these modules at your own pace, throughout the modules there are quiz questions so you can check your understanding as you progress through the course.
Following the online learning phase, you will attend 2.5 days of classroom based learning which will consolidate your understanding and newly acquired knowledge. Through workshops and group learning activities, we will refine your understanding gained through the online training, moving onto the more complex and technical aspects of the scheme. You will be fully supported by a dedicated tutor.
- Brief discussion and review of online self-study modules
- Overview of becoming an assessor and the value of BREEAM
- Focus on a few of the more complex issues within the scheme
- Navigating the technical manual and associated documents – Knowing your way around the material
- Continue to focus on a few of the more complex issues within the scheme
- Question and answer session
- BREEAM UKNC technical examination
Day 3 (half day)
- Question and answer session
- BREEAM General Understanding examination
You will undertake two multiple choice examinations. Both are open book, allowing you to refer to any notes or documentation that may assist you. BREEAM Assessors will need to pass both examinations to become qualified within the scheme. Please note that you must present acceptable photo identification (ID) for admission to the examinations. This may be either your passport, driving licence or EU ID card. Please note that without photo ID you will not be permitted to undertake the examinations.
- An introduction to BREEAM
- The BREEAM processes
- Scope of UKNC2018
- Being an assessor
- Support Networks
- Technical modules
- Demonstrating and validating performance
- Navigation of the technical manual
- Practical understanding of the complex and technical issues of the BREEAM process.
There are no prerequisites for this course.
At the end of this course you will have a thorough understanding of the BREEAM process, specifically for the BREEAM UK New Construction 2018 scheme.
On successful completion of the course and the examinations you will be issued with notification that verifies your BREEAM Assessor qualification. You will then be required to apply to BRE Global Ltd to become a Licenced BREEAM Assessor under the Scheme in order to practice and carry out assessments. You must make this application within 12 months of the initial examination day.
To practice as a licenced BREEAM Assessor you will be required to pay annual licence fees and hold adequate levels of professional insurance, particularly professional indemnity insurance. Further information on the route to becoming a licenced BREEAM Assessor can be found at www.breeam.com
This training course is aimed at anyone who is interested in:
- Designing or specifying buildings for low environmental impact
- Delivering BREEAM environmental assessments, and
- Satisfying professional CPD requirements and gaining a recognised qualification at the same time.