The BREEAM Approved Graduate (AG) programme has been created for Higher and Further education institutions that deliver built environment courses e.g. architecture, master planning, construction, engineering, design, surveying, facility management, project management, environmental sciences and more; and wish to feature a thorough and practical programme that trains students in sustainability, and at the same time, prepares them for the job market.
BREEAM is the world’s leading sustainability assessment method for master planning projects, infrastructure and buildings. It addresses a number of lifecycle stages such as New Construction, Refurbishment and In-Use. Globally, there are over half a million BREEAM certified developments, and over 2.2 million buildings registered for assessment since it was first launched in 1990.
BREEAM inspires developers and creators to excel, innovate and make effective use of resources. The focus on sustainable value and efficiency makes BREEAM certified developments attractive property investments and generates sustainable environments which enhance the well-being of the people who live and work in them.
What does BREEAM AG offer?
The BREEAM AG programme has been designed to teach students about BREEAM, provide them with a professional qualification that will set them apart from their peers and, at the same time, meet the university’s curriculum sustainability objectives and complement existing academic programmes, for both undergraduates and postgraduates. BREEAM AG allows educational institutions to connect with the leading industry-used sustainability assessment for both the UK and international markets.
BREEAM AG is also the stepping stone towards becoming BREEAM professionals: students qualifying in BREEAM AG enjoy a 50% discount on their first BREEAM training course, e.g. the BREEAM Assessor Course.
Students who undertake the programme will:
- Gain formal recognition of competence with the BREEAM AG qualification
- Improve employability prospects with a listing on Green Book Live
- Access robust content direct from BRE, the home of BREEAM
- Access industry news via our members newsletter, Facebook and LinkedIn groups
- Be automatically enrolled into the BRE Academy Graduate Membership programme for the first year after qualification
- After passing the BREEAM AG exam and assignments, graduates will be eligible to receive a 50% discount on their first BREEAM training with BRE Academy
For organisations hiring, a BREEAM AG will have a strong grounding in sustainability drivers and issues specific to the built environment. In addition, a BREEAM AG has been tested specifically around the technical aspects of BREEAM and its application, making them an excellent choice for organisations who have sustainability at their heart.
The BREEAM AG programme comprises of five lectures and two final assessments (an online, multiple choice examination, and an essay, each providing 50% of the total mark). The lectures are uploaded to our learning platform, along with all the relevant teaching materials and references.
Lecture A – Five reasons you should be talking about sustainability
Lecture B – Mitigating life-cycle impacts
Lecture C- Incorporating best practice with environmental frameworks
Lecture D – Integrating BREEAM throughout the design process
Lecture E – Learning for the online test.
The programme has been structured so that it is possible for lecturers to deliver the lectures either in the classroom or as self-study, unless specifically suggested in these notes. This flexibility also allows lecturers to adapt and expand the material as needed, in relation to the specific course the BREEAM AG programme fits in and time constraints. BRE Academy will be available for technical and troubleshooting support throughout the length of the programme.
The online multiple choice exam will be automatically marked by the systems, while the essay assignment is marked separately by the lecturer.
By the end of the programme, students will:
- Have a good understanding of the broader principles of sustainability, including environmental, social and economic issues
- Understand the process behind translating sustainable development principles into design
- Understand the reasons and process behind the development of environmental assessment methods
- Gain in depth knowledge of the BREEAM system, including how it was developed
- Have a good understanding of some of the specific technical aspects of the BREEAM system, its scope and some of the key categories within the methodology